Monday, October 24, 2016

Ginger-Lovers Nutty Apple Crisp

My twist on apple crisp the way I like it. Well, love it... I actually died when I took the first bite, so this is my ghost speaking to you from the beyond the grave about this very important recipe. (Sorry to those who have any kind of food allergy, because this hits pretty much all of them).




Apple mix:
5 large apples, peeled, cored and chopped into little squares (or a 50:50 mix of apples and pears. Yum)
Tsp of cinnamon, maybe some nutmeg, pinch of cloves also good
about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of finely diced candied ginger (yeah, you read that right. I said ginger lovers, didn't I)
about 1/2 a lemon worth of lemon juice

Toss that all together and dump into a square glass baking dish.

Topping:
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
6 tablespoons butter (salted, sweet cream)
Pinch of salt
Maybe some more cinnamon

Cut that all together, then mix in:
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup chopped roasted hazelnuts (if you scavenged them from your neighbor's yard and roasted them yourself, you get bonus points), pecans or walnuts would also work swell

Dump topping over the apple mix and bake at 350 for about 45 minutes

Really good with vanilla ice cream. Tastes like autumn and Christmas both. Kinda spicy.

If anyone actually makes this recipe, I really would like to know. Not many people love ginger the way I do.







No comments: