Thursday, June 16, 2011

unexpected road trip

A family member became suddenly and seriously ill last week, so we drove to Billings, Montana in a bit of a hurry. I wasn't even going to bring the camera, but my husband insisted. "We can't spend the whole time at the hospital," he said. "If you leave it you'll complain the whole time."

I'm glad he knows me so well.

Item #1: Urban wildlife around Billings.

A group of Richardson's ground squirrels in an empty lot between hotels and the freeway. I'm not sure where they're going to go when they're ready to move colony because there isn't another patch of grass this size for probably a mile in every direction.


IMG_2442a


IMG_2459a



IMG_2467a


Bunny rabbit, I'm assuming a desert cottontail, outside a restaurant also near the freeway.



IMG_2469a



Item #2: Pictograph Cave State Park. There are rock paintings. They are old. Also natural sandstone sculptures, nature's abstract art.



IMG_2516a

IMG_2483a


IMG_2481a


IMG_2493a


IMG_2502a


IMG_2518a


Item #3: Plant sexual organs, and them that sexes 'em up.


IMG_2427a



IMG_2429a



IMG_2506a



IMG_2508a

2 comments:

Retrieverman said...

I'm glad you called them Richardson's ground squirrels and not gophers.

admin said...

What can I say, I'm a trend-bucker.